July 11, 2017 – The Wicked Problem of Wildfires
Presenter: Annie Schmidt, WA State Fire Adapted Communities
During this forum, we learned what can be done to better prepare ourselves, our neighbors and our first responders for the next wildfire. The solution requires a paradigm shift, one “branded” Fire Adapted Communities
, where communities in wildfire prone areas work together
to be fully prepared for and recover from wildfire, incorporating people, buildings, businesses, infrastructure, cultural resources, and natural areas. The five areas of focus include:
- Prescribed Fire: A planned, controlled fire to prevent future, more significant ones.
- Human Causes/Education: All the “Smokey Bear” recommended behavior changes.
- Home Protection: Including actions such as a 5 foot protective barrier/defensible space around homes.
- Evacuation: Similar to emergency preparedness, where recommended actions in case of fires are known and followed.
- Recovery: Recommended actions and resources to assist residents and businesses in the community affected by a wildfire.