Audience Growth Analyst
Are you eager to grow a media organization’s audience? Do terms like “conversions,” “KPIs,” and “engagement metrics” give you immense amounts of joy? Do you give a damn about the fate of the planet? If so, Grist wants you.
Grist, a leading national environmental media non-profit, is looking for an Audience Growth Analyst to work with our small (but growing) audience team. In this role, you will help build a culture of analytics-informed decision-making at a mission-driven media outlet. You will track all of Grist’s audience measures, report audience and engagement data back to the audience team and the staff at-large, work hand-in-hand with our award-winning editorial team, and help the organization reach its ambitious audience goals. This is an ideal position for someone in the early stages of their career. We prefer candidates based in our hometown of Seattle, but are open to alternatives for the exceptional somebody, as many of our team members work remotely.
Grist is an independent nonprofit media organization that envisions a planet that doesn’t burn and a future that doesn’t suck. It’s our mission to make the story of a better world so irresistible, you want it right now. We are devoted to eye-opening environmental journalism that explores solutions, exposes injustice, and emboldens readers to act. And we go beyond the page to convene leaders bringing about a sustainable world that works for everyone.
- Use data to inform Grist’s growth and engagement strategy and help the audience team hit KPIs
- Help the organization set clear, actionable, attainable goals based on trends and habits of users
- Use analytics to deeply understand the Grist audience and their behavior across platforms; help translate this information to staff members
- Track what stories people are consuming, where our readers are coming from, and how we are reaching our most loyal readers
- Work with the Growth and Engagement Editor to build a rigorous reporting system to monitor progress against audience growth targets
- Develop analytics and reporting system with Growth and Engagement Editor and Video Producer to increase engagement of YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter channels, monitor growth.
- Administer daily reporting and monitor key metrics for audience team
- Build and share periodic high-level reports for stakeholders across the organization; deliver insights and actionable recommendations through numbers
- Serve as an in-house expert with analytics tools (e.g. Google Analytics, Parse.ly, video platforms)
- Track analytics from third party platforms (Apple News, SmartNews, Flipboard, etc)
- Measure success of syndication and any content-sharing partnerships
- Use analytics to recommend iterative improvement to site and product design
- Understand the objectives, challenges, and opportunities of each department at Grist
- Provide analytics support across all of Grist
- Passion for journalism, prior experience in publishing a plus
- Fluency in Google Sheets + Docs, Parse.ly, Chartbeat, Google Analytics, Salesforce, social media analytics; some experience with Tableau
- Ability to collaborate and communicate across teams
- Critical thinker, eager to learn and understand new things
- Proficient at building and understanding spreadsheets
- Goal and detail-oriented, able to multitask and meet deadlines
- Eager to further develop their knowledge and skill set
- Independent thinking and problem-solving abilities
- Preference for Seattle based
- Competitive Salary
- 10 paid holidays per year, 15 days of paid vacation, and 10 days of sick pay accrued per calendar year
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits (Grist pays 85% of the premium)
- Public transportation benefits
- Short-term and long-term disability and Life/ADD benefits
- 401(k) retirement plan, with an employer match
- Flexible Spending Account
Cultivating an inclusive workplace is central to Grist’s focus on advancing equity. We’re interested in hearing from people who can work with diverse colleagues of varied experience. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grist is an equal-opportunity employer.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Audience Growth Analyst” in the subject line. We are looking for a thoughtful cover letter that displays your qualifications, enthusiasm, and communication style. No phone calls, please.