John Snow, Inc. (JSI), a leading public health research and consulting organization, is seeking a creative, detail-oriented, and experienced Graphic Designer to develop and implement design concepts and provide strategic creative and visual design support to staff and projects in our domestic Health Services Division. The Graphic Designer should have the ability to combine graphic design and editorial skills for a variety of public health projects and clients.
The Designer works with project staff to ensure that materials are culturally-appropriate and compelling for the intended audience and purpose, and are consistent with organizational and client branding, goals, and priorities. Our projects range from state- or county-wide social marketing campaigns to training and technical assistance projects with a variety of ongoing strategic communications needs (view examples of our work at https://healthcommunication.jsi.com/). You will develop project-specific communications materials, including social marketing campaign materials, consumer-facing job aids, technical reports, infographics, and marketing materials for both digital and print mediums.
Candidates should be flexible, possess an entrepreneurial spirit, and be enthusiastic about JSI’s mission of promoting and improving health for all, with a focus on U.S. communities with unequal access to health-related resources. The ideal candidate will be an individual who embraces opportunities for personal and organizational growth, enjoys working both collaboratively and independently with quick turnaround times, demonstrates a high level of professionalism and interpersonal skills, and can excel while contributing to multiple projects simultaneously.
Please include a link to your portfolio, or samples of your work, with your resume and cover letter by January 14, 2022.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Use InDesign and the full Adobe Creative Suite to create compelling and culturally appropriate designs for print and online materials for both public and specific audiences
- Create and/or implement project brands, including logos, style guides and templates
- Work in close collaboration with project teams on design activities to meet project expectations and deadlines
- Produce technical reports and graphics for clients that follow best practices for data visualization
- Assist with the design of presentation materials including PowerPoint and Google Slide presentations
- Produce materials for consumers and public health professionals, including but not limited to print materials (job aids, educational materials, posters, infographics, conference materials, etc.) and digital channels (social media, websites, eLearning modules, mobile apps, etc.)
- Ensure adherence to U.S. government, client, and corporate protocols, including Section 508 compliance, in products and materials
- Degree (BA or BFA) or certificate in communications and/or graphic design with at least 5 years of relevant professional experience
- Have a portfolio of original work
- Experience designing both print and digital products
- Advanced skills with all elements of Adobe Creative Suite (including InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop) and Microsoft Office Suite, including designing PowerPoint presentations and technical reports
- Strong understanding of user-centered principles as applies to design projects
- In-depth knowledge of pre-press preparation and printing processes
- Solid understanding of web design best practices and ability to design products that are optimized for web viewing and usability
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with team members, clients, and other key stakeholders
- Demonstrated analytical, writing, editing, proofreading, and oral presentation skills
- A passion for public health and working to improve health, equity, and safety
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work on multiple tasks and projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment while maintaining attention to detail
- Knowledge of or interest in learning about domestic public health issues and experience working with U.S. communities with unequal access to health-related resources
- Strong problem-solver with ability to navigate various viewpoints regarding design to develop consensus.
- Experience prototyping website design concepts and build wireframes
- Audio and video editing skills preferred
- Knowledge of U.S. government communications needs preferred, including Section 508 compliance
This position has an annual salary range of $61,800-$85,000, depending on years of experience. JSI offers competitive benefits including health insurance, dental, vision, and a 401k with a company match. Salary commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should submit their resumes and cover letters online by 1/14/2022.