I'm hiring a Public Education Assistant to join my team at the American Kidney Fund. This is a great opportunity for an early-career professional to support the creation of highly visible health communication campaigns and health education resources. The salary range is $50,000 - $55,000 USD. The job will be remote for the remainder of the pandemic, but eventually it will be based in Rockville, MD. Please share this opportunity with your networks or apply here if you're interested.
Working alongside the Associate Director of Public Education, the Public Education Assistant assists with the day-to-day operations of the American Kidney Fund’s public education campaigns. The campaigns are designed to educate and raise awareness about the risks of kidney disease in the general public, while also educating patients and family members affected by kidney disease. These are the essential functions:
- Researches, conceptualizes, and develops health education materials for the American Kidney Fund (AKF) such as: toolkits, planners, fact sheets, brochures, pamphlets, infographics, posters, or other educational products to meet identified needs.
- Reviews, updates, and writes new health education content and health features for KidneyFund.org. Incorporates principles of health literacy, plain language, behavior change, and accessibility into all content.
- Performs formative research through literature reviews, environmental scans, and in-depth interviews to build the evidence base for public education campaigns.
- Applies best practices in health communication to support the planning, implementation, and evaluation of health education campaigns created for kidney disease patients, transplant patients, caregivers & families, and health professionals.
- Organizes the successful facilitation of monthly webinars and in-person educational seminars designed for patients living with kidney disease. Duties include selecting topics, securing expert speakers, reviewing PowerPoint presentations for accuracy and completeness, managing logistics, and conducting evaluation activities to inform improvements to the programs.
- Coordinates with outside vendors to design and translate resources within established time frames and budget parameters.
- Manages all aspects of the Education Team’s printing and fulfillment needs, including: coordinating services with vendor, securing quotes, reviewing proofs for quality control, and managing inventory.
- Collaborates with the Marketing & Communication Team to develop marketing, outreach, and distribution plans customized for target audiences.
- Serves as a resource to respond to inquiries pertaining to kidney disease that AKF receives through the HelpLine, website contact form, or social media.
- Contributes to the development of abstracts, posters, oral presentations, and exhibit materials for scientific and public health conferences.
- Represents AKF in a professional manner at scientific conference or screening events through superior customer support and knowledge of AKF’s programs and services.
- Requires overnight travel to locations outside of Rockville, MD (less than 10%).
- Performs additional related duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in health-related field required: Health Education, Health Communications, Health Promotion, Community Health, Biology, Behavioral Sciences or related discipline. Graduate degree in Public Health, Dietetics, or Nursing a plus.
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience in supporting public health campaigns in the non-profit sector or other professional environment.
- Strong research, writing, and project management skills required.
- Must be well-organized, detail-oriented, and able to manage multiple responsibilities with competing demands.
- Knowledge of health literacy principles, plain language standards, and behavior change theory.
- Understanding of cultural competency and how to apply the concept to high-quality health education.
- Experience with kidney disease and an understanding of kidney disease patients’ needs preferred.
- Experience communicating with various levels of professionals through both verbal and written correspondence.
- Certifications in CPH, CHES, or MCHES a plus.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus.
- Advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft Office including PowerPoint and Excel required.
- Demonstrated ability to be highly flexible, provide exemplary customer service, and work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to handle confidential matters with a high level of integrity.
- Valid driver's license required, with dependable transportation.
- Ability to work some weekends or evenings as required.
- Ability to lift materials and boxes up to 30 lbs.
Apply here: https://secure4.saashr.com/ta/6162608.careers?careerssearch