The Communications Manager, under the direction of the Chief of Administration, develops, implements, and manages the City's strategic communications program to enhance two-way communication between the City and its residents through printed publications, websites, social media, mass communication tools, and government access television. This position will write, design, and produce a variety of public information materials in print, electronic, audio and video formats; develop and implement policies and procedures regarding public information and community involvement programs on issues affecting the organization; serve as the public information officer; staff the City’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC); and provide in-house expertise in the fields of public information and communications. Examples of Duties
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversee Citywide messaging and communications and direct all facets of publicly consumed branding and marketing. Write, edit, design, research and produce public information materials using a variety of formats including print, electronic, social media, audio, and video to enhance two-way communication between the City and its residents.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive, City-wide strategic communications plan, including the development and implementation of policies and procedures for communications.
- Manage the City's website content, multiple social media channels, weekly E-newsletter, and public engagement platform.
- Maintain and enhance the City’s photo archives of various events, activities, and programs.
- Develop, recommend, and implement new communications methods and enhancements to achieve City goals and accomplish associated research to evaluate emerging communications technology.
- Provide expertise and coordinate City communications and engagement programs to obtain community participation in the City's decision-making process; identify groups/organizations affected by anticipated City action and ensure their opportunity for involvement; develop and publish public survey tools.
- Provide internal departments with communications support by creating communication plans, editing material, and supplying general guidance and expertise. Advise and assist staff on appropriate ways to communicate information to the public to ensure accuracy and consistency.
- Lead and/or facilitate interdepartmental communication teams.
- Assist City elected officials and staff in presenting information on City priorities and issues in the most effective way; compose talking points and speeches.
- Serve as the public information officer (PIO) for the City. Prepare and deliver oral press briefings and written press releases to the media on city issues; represent the City as the lead contact for media inquiries.
- During emergency events, serve as incident PIO, in collaboration with other key staff based out of City’s EOC.
- Provide guidance, support, and problem-solving assistance to community groups in accessing City decision-makers and the decision-making process.
- Prepare public displays and represent the City at public/community events as needed.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
For additional details including qualifications, working conditions, benefits and salary range please visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mercerisland/jobs/2980213/communications-manager
Closes 2/26/21 at 11:59pm