Position in Seattle, Washington, Oakland, California, or Remote www.cascadiaconsulting.com
Cascadia Consulting Group is a women-owned, private environmental consulting firm with 27 years of experience developing and implementing innovative solutions to today’s environmental challenges. Cascadia works with public and private sector clients to advance sustainability through recycling and materials management, climate change mitigation and adaptation, energy efficiency, pollution prevention, transportation demand management, and water and natural resources management. The Cascadia team brings both established expertise and creative thinking to research and analysis, strategic planning, program design and implementation, outreach, social marketing and behavior change, and evaluation roles. From our offices in Oakland (CA), Seattle (WA), and Charleston (SC), we serve clients across the country and abroad.
At Cascadia, we strive to create an equitable and inclusive environment at all levels of the organization. Having staff and partnerships that reflect the diverse communities we serve empowers us to shape innovative and effective solutions together with those most impacted by social, human, and environmental health challenges.
Cascadia seeks a Visual Communications Specialist to work as a core member of Cascadia’s Communications and Engagement team, using graphic design and creative copy writing skills to develop effective, inclusive outreach materials that meet audiences where they are. The selected candidate will work primarily on Cascadia’s marketing and business development teams, including generating and updating website content, social media content, proposal design, and visual presentations. These items are often requested for use in behavior change and social marketing campaigns focused on circular economy, sustainable transportation, natural resource management, climate change, and community resilience.
Primary job responsibilities for this position include:
• Support project managers to create campaign materials that effectively engage multicultural audiences on a range of sustainability topics, from waste reduction to energy and water efficiency, and from pollution prevention to transportation demand management.
• Develop and support creative copywriting, including ad copy, web and social media content, and educational materials for diverse audiences.
• Work with partners to facilitate the transcreation process and adapt messaging for non-English speaking audiences.
• Performing related visual communications tasks as required.
In addition to working primarily on behavior change and marketing campaigns within Cascadia’s Communications and Engagement line of business, this role will also support cross-cutting campaigns that incorporate Cascadia’s other two lines of business: Research and Analysis and Planning and Facilitation. Typical clients will range from local governments and utilities to recycling and waste management service providers and private-sector companies.
• Understanding of, and commitment to, Cascadia’s mission to “inspire and empower communities everywhere to protect and restore our world” in an equitable and inclusive way.
• Comfort designing for audiences representing diverse cultures, languages, and demographics.
• Experience working with teams to prepare and implement creative briefs for programs or campaigns.
• Experience supporting both print and digital campaigns; understanding of best practices for web and online communications.
• Familiarity with best practices for accessible, user-oriented design and willingness to advocate for design options that serve under-represented audiences.
• Demonstrated ability to scale design efforts in accordance with time and budget allocations.
• Advanced skill in Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
• Intermediate skill in MS Office—particularly Word and PowerPoint—and willingness to learn.
• The ability to organize, prioritize, and meet deadlines with an attention to detail in a dynamic work environment, including efficiently carrying out administrative tasks.
• Performing related support duties as required. Additional Desired Qualifications
• Experience with WordPress, Wix, Mailchimp, or other website design or communications platforms.
• Experience with animation, photography, videography, video production, or other creative skillset.
• Advanced skill in MS Office and Google Suite programs.
• Understanding of best practices for asset management and collaborative design.
• Spoken and/or written fluency in both English and another language, such as Vietnamese, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, Somali, Russian, Amharic, Tigrinya, Punjabi, or Arabic.
Compensation and Benefits
This is an hourly, non-exempt position that could be based in Washington, California, or South Carolina; there is a potential for this position to be fully remote, as long as the employee resides in one of these states. Hourly rate will be based on experience and competitive with jobs in the environmental sector; the anticipated hourly rate range for this position is $22.16 – $31.37.
The work may require flexible hours and may have designated hours beyond the standard workday, including weekends and evenings. Cascadia offers a flexible workplace with a generous benefit package, including health insurance for employees at or above 60% full-time equivalent, 401(k) with an employer match, life insurance, long-term disability, transportation subsidies, flexible spending accounts, generous paid time off, professional development budget, sabbaticals, and paid parental leave.
How to Apply
Submit a compelling cover letter outlining your passion for, and fit with, the position. Please also provide a complete chronological resume and digital portfolio of graphic design (and other relevant creative) work samples. Send these materials to email@example.com and indicate “Visual Communications Specialist - [Your Name]” in the subject line. Your cover letter should address your ability to meet the criteria in the Required Qualifications section and highlight relevant experience, education, and why you are interested in this position. Please state where you learned about the position. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Cascadia Consulting Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diverse perspectives and life experiences. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, color, race, disability (physical, sensory, and mental, including HIV, AIDS, and Hepatitis C), national origin, creed, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation (including transgender status), religion, ancestry, marital status, pregnancy and childbirth (or related medical conditions), maternity, use of service animal by a person with a disability, genetic information, medical conditions (genetic characteristics, cancer or a record or history of cancer),or, in certain circumstances, marriage to a coworker.